Moccasin Trails Case Study
7 Teachers Resources
The case analysis encourages students to conduct research into topics such as Indigenous businesses, unique marketing challenges, approaches to create brand identities, product selection, and the intricacies of tourism marketing. Students will suggest marketing strategies that can overcome these challenges and make Moccasin Trails flourish into the future. By analyzing this case, students will be exposed to the following marketing topics:
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Research
- Competitive Advantage
- Brand Identity
- Brand Loyalty
- Indigenous Business
- Tourism Marketing
- Destination Marketing
- Consumer Behaviour
- Decision-Making Processes
- Marketing Communications
The analysis opportunities given through this case fit any advanced marketing course, whether graduate or undergraduate, assuming students have had exposure to basic marketing courses as well as specific marketing topics such as marketing strategy, marketing research, and consumer behaviour.
Suggestions for Use
The information in this case is suitable for specific assignment questions in multiple marketing areas. Instructors using this case may provide students with their own questions, based on the topic of their courses and the content they have covered. Below are some suggestions.
- Apply decision-making concepts and steps to this case
- Apply attitude models to this situation and target audience
- Apply concepts of cultural values and reference groups to this case
- Identify suitable subcultures to be targeted
- Identify cultural influences on the behaviour of Moccasin Trails’ customers
- Identify the effect of historic beliefs and presumptions
- Identify trends in corporate bookings of experiences and team building events
- Investigate the benefits of spending time and money to improve the website; clearly state specific areas to be modified.
- Research the objectives for an improved website
- Research opportunities to tie into other e-commerce operations
- Assess how e-commerce operations would fit with the indigenous focus of the company; are there special considerations to be considered?
- What suggestions do you have to increase traffic to the website?
- How can the website be used to grow corporate business?
- Determine appropriate information to be used in guide book advertising, direct marketing or social media advertising
- Identify suitable print publications for advertising besides the guide books mentioned
- Evaluate research on the effectiveness of radio advertising for local businesses
- Design an advertising plan and budget for social media ads
- Investigate additional advertising opportunities for Moccasin Trails
- Suggest additional services and package elements that could appeal to local or international tourists
- Determine additional services to be offered to the company’s B2B partners
- Determine a priority list of expenditures and justify by estimating the effect on the business
- Research the success of other Indigenous tour providers in BC and identify competitors
- Research the high end tourism market in BC
- Evaluate benefits and disadvantages to working with tourism associations
- Investigate current trends in tourism marketing
- Using the website to promote brand loyalty, customer engagement, and feedback options
- Growing the list of corporate partners, while keeping the company’s objectives and values in mind
- Finding creative solutions to receive additional funding
- Establishing ties with other tourism attractions in the area beyond wineries and golf courses
- Collecting contact information such as email, for example by using a guest book
- Identifying a personal to target the tourism offerings to